How to run Orchard as a developer? What are other, more advanced built-in modules I should know about? Our second Dojo Course tutorial aims to give anwers to these questions.
The notes for this tutorial:
- Download Orchard Source 1.7.1 to run Orchard from source
- What is Orchard.sln
- When you starting working, create a copy of Orchard.sln, e.g. DojoCourse.sln
- A quick glance at the folder/solution structure: built-in modules, the default project (Orchard.Web) is the heart of Orchard
- NB: VS2012 uses IIS Express instead of Cassini web server
- Built-in vs. core modules
- CommonPart settings
- Tour of the Navigation feature, integrated since Orchard 1.5: menu item types, reordering menuitems, extensibility
- Demo: creating pages and corresponding menu items
- Renewed media management enhanced with content types: Media Library (since 1.7)
- Importing media with drag&drop
- Editing imported media items, creating folder structured and drag&dropping items between folders
- Resizing pictures inside of Media Library
- Guide to the built-int modules
- Continuously updated source code for the Course (you can upload the latest source in a zip from here)
Remember: if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask them on the Orchard Discussion board. Make sure to prefix your thread's title with "Dojo Course - "! We keep an eye on these threads.
Haven't you enrolled yet? Why not do it some time in the near future like right now?